Friday, October 12, 2012

Elevators are for Wimps

Shaun hates when people find out that he's a fireman and then call him a hero. He doesn't do it for the attention, he does it because he has a servant's heart. At least that's what I think. He says he does it because he likes it... Not for the glory! A lot is expected of firemen when it comes to the community (besides on duty calls). See, Shaun doesn't just go to work and then sit back and relax on his days off... No, he's still out serving the public. Fill the Boot. Make a Child Smile. Serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner to whoever, whenever. Climbing to the top of buildings in FULL gear! Wait... What?
 
  
The YMCA has a fundraiser in downtown LA every year and they always ask for support from the firemen and police men. The US Bank is the tallest building west of the Mississippi (like 76 floors) and people rally together and climb to the top. Shaun has participated in past years but, this is the first time I have been able to join him. I'm soooo glad I was able to go! The guys were hilarious as they were trying to pump each other up. energy bars and drinks were in hand! I followed them around and secretly watched all the young, pretty girls watch them. The guys would ask me to take a picture and I'd see random girls pull out their smart phones and snap a picture too!  It was also funny to see people in normal work out pants, that had just finished the climb, hold back their huffing and puffing when the fireman passed them! Believe me public... These guys were DONE when they hit the top floor! They want the fire wives to do it next year. I think I'll pass!
 
Our view as we drove into LA. Shaun took a deep breath when he saw his building trying to hide behind all the other ones.

The guys enjoying their last few minutes before they had to throw on their gear and start hiking!

So glad this isn't my job!

So proud of my man!

No comments: