Monday, October 15, 2012

Blake's BIG Phone Call


I knew this day would come. Besides, all families with little kids experience this type of thing at least once... It's kind of like a right of passage. The pounding heart, shaking hands, confusion, disbelief, embarrassment... How boring life would be without these unexpected twists and turns!

When the boys woke up Saturday morning, they all climbed into bed with me. Shaun was working so it was a special cuddle time just with my little ones. Blake was the first to want down but, when he found the house phone he was totally entertained with the lights and sounds. If it had been a play phone he wouldn't have cared for it! How do they know the difference!?! He played with it for about five minutes and when I heard ringing I figured he needed to be done. I quickly hung it up and set it aside. However, when it rang probably 20 seconds later I just let it go. I didn't feel like explaining that I let my child play with the phone so I could stay in bed a few extra minutes!

As I laid there I wondered who he might have called and if I should have answered that call back. At that exact moment, there was a LOUD banging on the front door. I panicked and jumped out of bed. I told the big boys to stay where they were and to watch Blake. Before I could get to the door there was more banging and ringing of the door bell. Freaked out I answered the door (we have a security door so I still felt save). Two men in uniform where standing there... Cops. They quickly asked, "Did someone call 911?"

I felt soooo bad! I opened the security door and apologized over and over. I told them that my son must have found the phone (of course I wasn't going to tell them that I GAVE it to him. But of course I NEVER thought he would have figured out 911)! They were very nice and understood. They did ask how old he was and when I told them almost 14 months they kind of chuckled. Can't lecture a kid that young about calling 911.

It ended up being a great teaching moment for Isaac. It was safety week a few weeks ago at school and he came home and tried calling 911. The teachers informed us what they were learning so I was waiting for it. Thankfully he practiced on wall phones at school. We have a portable one and you have to press talk first. I walked him through it then and this time he got to see that people really do show up to help. :)



This is where I like to see my boys. All together in one place, loving on each other! One of me makes it hard when they're all over the house!


No comments: