Thursday, November 24, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving

I wrote another MOPS article and thought it would be a perfect Thanksgiving blog. Happy Thanksgiving!

With my crying baby in hand, I marched back up stairs (hopefully for the last time) to tell my two oldest it’s time to stop messing around and GO TO SLEEP! I then think to myself, “Two down, one to go!” Not convinced my youngest is ready to let me have a night of peace, I come back down stairs to sit on the couch and nurse. It’s been a long day and I’m exhausted! I was hoping to sit and close my eyes but, the mess that was in front of me couldn’t be ignored or even wished away.
The pillows were not in their perfect place on the couch. Instead, they were thrown all over the floor. Sticky juice cups sat on the table while a pile of crumbs layered the ground below. The sink was full of dirty dishes from making a meal for a friend with a new baby. Several dirty diapers lined the outside of the trash can (because I shot and missed). However, those diapers weren’t alone. Next to them were the recycled items that never made it outside to the big trash can. There were also un-wiped counters, dusty furniture, a basket full of laundry that needed to be put away, MOPS registration papers (have you registered?), and toys galore that didn’t get picked up.

The hardest part with all this was that I couldn’t do anything about it! Not. One. Single. Thing. I was being held captive, forced to just sit and be still. My baby was in control of how long I would have to observe the mess. I was overwhelmed with how late it was getting and wondered if I even had the energy to keep going.

In that very moment something happened. Something I can’t even explain. Something so great that I knew it wasn’t me. God took the “mommy goggles” off my eyes and I began to see what was REALLY in front of me. My eyes immediately welled up with tears and complete joy overshadowed my craving for a clean house and sleep.

As I held my precious baby boy, that had now fallen asleep and was lying so peacefully in my arms, I thanked God for my mess. I thanked Him for my pillows that were all over the floor because they proved to be a soft landing and prevented cracked heads when my wild boys wrestled to the ground. I thanked Him for the sticky cups and layers of crumbs because it meant that God had provided what we needed to make it through another day. I thanked Him for the dirty dishes because they symbolized a true friendship. I even found the words to thank Him for the stairs in my house. They guarantee that I get my daily exercise. As I held my baby tighter, I most of all thanked Him for the dirty diapers! I have three healthy little boys that fill every day with laughter and entertainment. I even thanked God for my MOPS forms. I can’t imagine taking this journey through motherhood alone! I also thanked God for the un-wiped counters, dusty furniture, and laundry. It proved that I completed everything that was asked of me that day… Spending time with my boys! And, of course, showing them that Cat-woman is just as cool as Batman!

God has a way of getting our attention and reminding us of His love, goodness, and truth. 1 Thessalonians 5:18 says, “Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” Next time you have to change a dirty diaper, clean up a spill, or take out the trash, remember to smile, hold your breath, and thank God!

Out of all the pictures we took today, this was the best one! Figures!

3 comments:

travis and hayley said...

this is my favorite post you have ever written!!! thanks for blessing me today ;)

Emily Burton said...

Love this!

Anonymous said...

loved the post!...and LOVE the photo! It's good to have silly ones :)

Ruth