Saturday, October 22, 2011

Saying Good-Bye

Parker has been a binkie kid from day one... Literally. They say not to give a baby a pacifier 'itl they're at least four weeks so that you can make sure they are good at nursing and there is no nipple confusion. But, Parker is smart and he knew the difference right away. Zero confusion and zero problems latching to anything. 

His attachment to the pacifier has been quite scary. Isaac was always calmed when nursing but, Parker was all business... Get the food and be done. His dessert was his binkie and he always wanted dessert. his first year with the binkie was cute. I didn't get to match hair bows with outfits so I matched binkies with outfits! However, as he grew and worked his way to his second year of life, we knew it needed to go. Well, there was never a good time to take it away. Trips would happen and it was just easier to drive with a kid that wasn't crying. Months went by and we still hadn't started the battle of being "plug" free. 

For the past few weeks we have slowly been taking it away. We worked it down to just when he was sleeping and then he actually gave it up at nap time 'cause he thought it would get him out of a nap. I was beyond shocked when he did this! Have I mentioned how stubborn and strong willed he is!? On October 9th Shaun put him to bed without his soother! I was terrified! There was a little bit of crying but, he did it! He went to sleep and stayed asleep all night! For the next few days he asked for them and would go to his secret hiding spot to look for one. We would just tell them that they were all gone and that he was a big boy now. Shaun even cut the nipple off of one just in case we needed another reason why he couldn't have them anymore, they're broken.  

  Parker is now talking and singing himself to sleep. I'm amazed at how easy it actually was. I think these kinds of things are always harder on mommies than the kid anyway. I must say it was super sad for me when I scooped them up in my hands and dropped them into the trash can. I was saying good bye to my little Parker and hello to my big boy Parker. Memories of sitting and rocking him flashed in my mind. Holding him so close to me and wanting that time to never end... For him to stay little and innocent forever. Just knowing that a plastic thing in his mouth, a blanket, and a warm hug was all he needed. I wonder if I can give it back to him when he's 16 and life is unfair and miserable! Think it will work then!? ;)

The goods!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way to go!! I agree probably harder on the mommies :( I had a hard time hearing Taylor ask for them :( But once we decided to give them up there was no giving in and going back. What a monster she would have become if I did that. Way to stay strong! We got rid of them weeks ago as well and Taylor actually sleeps better without them and didn't do bad with losing them either. Not what I expected. Strong kiddos we have ;)

Ruth