Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Baby Blake Story

Big boys are out with daddy and Blake is sleeping so it's now or never... The Blake Story!

Wednesday, the 17th was a mentally exhausting day. I was not looking forward to having to go in and be induced. I mean, it is my third baby, shouldn't my body have already known what to do? I like being in control, knowing what's going on, and knowing what to expect, but not in this case. I wanted to go into labor naturally and quickly so I didn't have time to think about what was coming. 

That night Shaun and I put the boys to bed, hugged my parents good bye, and headed to the hospital. We arrived around 8:45 (15 minutes late... Oops) and they took me right in. You're supposed to call ahead and make sure there is room but I didn't 'cause at this point it didn't matter what they said... I was going in and wasn't leaving! :) I was thankfully 4cm and feeling contractions. They started with the wires, needles, monitors, wrist bands, etc. and I was finally all hooked up and ready to go at ten. They started the devil drug pitocin to speed up labor. Shaun and I talked, laughed, ate ice chips, and watched tv 'til 12:30. I was getting super tired so I figured I should go ahead and get the epidural so I could try and sleep. I wasn't in pain yet, but I've had pitocin before and knew I eventually would be. Again, I was all hooked up by 1am and resting comfortably. Shaun and I slept 'til two. Then, the nurse came in and checked me, flipped me, and we went back to sleep 'til three. At three I was 5cm so they broke my water. I knew Blake was only an hour from birth now (that's how it was with Isaac and Parker... One hour after breaking my water). I rested for the next hour but could feel the little guy making his way down. At four I was 8cm so they changed my position and nine minutes later I was beyond ready to push. 

Pause. Rewind:
Before we left for the hospital I told my nieghbors that Blake would be born at 4:15. Isaac was born at 7:15, Parker was born at 8:15, and both were 6 hour labors. This meant Blake needed to be born on a "15" too. Actually, to make everything perfect he needed to come at 9:15 but, I wasn't waiting that long! Because I was hooked up at ten this would also give me my third 6 hour labor. Crazy huh!? 

Ok. Fastforward to 4:09am again: 
My nurse told me not to push and ran to get my midwife. The reason I was induced at this time is because my midwife, that I loved and that I had seen throughout my entire pregnancy, was on call that night. She wanted to be the one to deliver Blake. Turns out she was delivering someone else's baby so a doctor rushed in for me. Blah! All the staff knew I was shooting for a 4:15 birth so they were working as fast as they could. It was all so exciting for everyone. Well, turns out my "15" passed by the time she told me I could push. The time is now 4:18 and I'm all geared up to push, but right when I take my deep breath and push, my nurse tells me to stop! WHAT? Then she tells me to do whatever I feel I need to do. What in the world does that mean? Finally she tells me to look down and I see Blake. My three second push produced my 8 lbs. 10 oz. baby! Turns out the cord was wrapped around his neck and that's why she told me to stop pushing. Usually pushing is the most painful part for me. I guess it was again this time but, the fact that it only lasted three seconds made it easy! The entire labor and delivery went so smooth, never a hickup.

Two seconds old!

First pictures with Blake!

Yes, full hands... BUT also a FULL heart!

Meanwhile back home... The boys were watching tennis with Iso...

... And playing Monkey see, monkey do!

Isn't he beautiful!?!?!

Eek! I think Superman had a little too much kryptonite!

4 comments:

krista said...

He's SUCH a cutie!!! Hope you are getting some rest and just enjoying him. Congratulations you guys :)

Keri Sheckler said...

He is beautiful.

Sarah said...

Congratulations!!!! He is so perfect- you are a rockstar!!!

xoxo
Sarah

Shannon said...

yay for the birth story! I'm so glad your boys got to come to the hospital this time! Blake is so cute!!