Thursday, August 26, 2010

My (and I guess Shaun's) Master Retreat

 Close your eyes and picture your house. Which room popped in your head first? Maybe it was your kitchen because you love to cook. Maybe it was your family room because that's where you spend most of your time playing games, watching movies, and relaxing on the couch. Or could it be your child's bedroom because you spent hours and hours setting up the crib and dresser, painting, and then sitting in the glider rubbing your belly, just waiting for your little bundle of joy to arrive!? Ooooor, maybe you have a messy room that is in dire need of a deep clean but you keep trying to forget about it (sorry for the reminder).

If someone had asked me this question a few months ago, I would have pictured our master bedroom because it needed the most help. It was cluttered, mismatched, and the dumping ground for the rest of the house. I've always wanted a relaxing, peaceful, spa-like retreat for a master bedroom. A place where I can walk in and not feel anxious or suffocated by "stuff."

Moving to a new house was a perfect way to start over and create the space I was longing for. I vowed that, "If it's not being used by me (or Shaun), then it's not going in my suite!" I wasn't exactly sure what I wanted so I set out to find an inspirational piece! The vase above is what I came home with. I set it on the counter and told Shaun that we were going to design our bedroom around this... He laughed at me! I knew it was possible though. They do it all the time on HGTV. I pulled out pieces that I did have and then a few days before moving, my mom and I went shopping. JACK POT!!! I found the rest of the pieces to the puzzle! Bedding, pillows, curtains, picture frames, lamps, rugs, etc. (Yes, seems expensive but there are three things that made this possible. 1.) I never buy full price items... I shop at the cheap stores. Everything came from Ross, Marshalls, Burlington, Big Lots, K-Mart, Kohls, Bed, Bath, and Beyond, and Tuesday Morning. 2.) We have been saving since we bought the house in February. 3.) My mom purchased some items and told me Merry Christmas). We ended up customizing the wall color to the pillows. When I showed Shaun the color he said no... But I knew he would so I was prepared. I had TiVoed an HGTV program where they had painted the master bedroom walls a color similar to the one I wanted. When Shaun was able to see the whole room put together, he was totally up for it! :)

I am loving my new master retreat and can't wait for the bathroom to be completed so I can light some candles and soak in a bath full of bubbles!

Some of the pieces I have collected and placed in my peaceful get away!

The first day... Just to remind you what I was working with. EEK!

Taken the other night after Shaun put the curtains up! Ahhhh!!!

EEK again! Major wallpaper... It was pretty though!

Ahhhh again!
Baseboards and crown molding will complete the space... I'll never want to leave!

1 comment: