Monday, August 30, 2010

The First Born


See this little guy? He is my first born! For those of you that do have a first born, don't need an explanation. For those of you that don't have a first born, I'll go a little deeper...

There is a lot of privilege that comes with being the first born. They get the most one on one attention, they don't have to wear hand me downs, their photo albums are over flowing, and they don't have to share their toys (unless friends are over). Being a first born is heaven on earth... Until the second born comes and their world is rocked!

There are two types of first borns, compliant and aggressive. Compliant traits are: people pleaser, craves approval, nurturers, caregivers, reliable, conscientious, cooperative, team player, and "grin and bear it" mentality. Aggressive traits are: movers and shakers, natural leader, perfectionists, driven, conventional, always has to be in control, assertive, and wants things their way. Common traits are: energetic, logical, ambitious, enterprising, scholarly.

Some days it scares me, but Isaac is definitely the aggressive type. While he does love our approval, is a big help, and is always concerned about his little brother, his non stop body, wanting everything done just right, and his "my way or the high way" attitude can't be overshadowed! I know he's only two (almost three), but now is the time to "tame the lion that is within!" Because he requires correction by the hour, I never want him to feel like he isn't good enough. Because he has been blessed with lots of toys, I never want him to be selfish of those possessions. And because he is so cute and funny, I never want him to feel like he needs to become an overachiever and begin to depend on attention from others. Instead, I want him to be confident, free to dream and plan, and feel supported.

I have a lot of first born traits so I understand when Isaac is through the roof frustrated because he can't do something, or when things are out of control and he gets overwhelmed, or when he knows exactly how he wants something done but it just isn't working.  

Now that I have completely over analyzed my child, placed him in the "first born" box, confessed that his stubbornness freaks me out, and shared what I hope for him to be and feel, this is what I have decided to do about it... Pray! Pray like I have never prayed before! I have spent way too much time worrying whether or not I'm training him right and way too much time fearing that I failed and that he will never meet his full potential. When I'm on my knees, the love and patience that I have for Isaac is amazing. It's definitely not my parenting power, but God guiding me every step of the way!

Also, Isaac has an incredible memory. So instead of having him memorize all of his Spider-man books, we've started teaching him scripture. His first verse was Psalms 119:9. "How can a young man keep his way pure. By living according to Your word." We're working on verses 10-16 now.

Isaac is a gift from God. However, he is also a gift to God! I pray that Isaac's life is glorifying to Him, the one that made my little man so perfect for me!

 First born fun facts!
More than 1/2 of the U.S. Presidents were first born children
21 of the 23 first astronauts were first born children
2/3 of entrepreneurs are first born children

Isaac's recent one liners!
"George Washington was America's first present!"
"Now that's what I call taking our the trash!"
"Princesses are for boys too!" (Cinderella being his favorite... Sorry Shaun)
"Mommy, you are lovely!"
"Follow your dreams!"
"You're lonely 'cause no one's with you!"
"Parker, I am the big brother because I poop in the potty and you poop in your diaper!"
"NO!!! I'LL DO IT!!!"

3 comments:

Leslie said...

Haha, too funny, all moms have these thoughts! So great to have all of these psychological information so that we have categories to think in... where would we be without them? ;) Jameson is most definitely the compliant first born, which I love, which also has its worrisome aspects! Thanks for sharing!

Emily Burton said...

Love it!

Bekah said...

Yeah I'm a first born too! Totally funny how kids get those traits so early.