Thursday, July 30, 2009

July 30th

This post comes late into the evening/night because I made a goof... I went the whole day thinking that it was July 29th. I was prepping myself for the big celebration of the 30th but because everyday is the same to me, I seemed to have "skipped" the one day I was looking forward to.

July 30th is a big date in our house. Two years ago TODAY Shaun became a firefighter. He will hate that I'm posting about it (because he thinks it's no big deal) but I'm proud of him gosh golly and I want the world to know. For those of you that have pursued the fire career (in California) know that it is very competitive. I will throw in that it is also a day to remember because one year ago TODAY, the day Shaun got off probation/was no longer a rookie/was finally secure in his job, he ruptured his achilles tendon while playing volleyball! Oh that was a hard few months that I don't want to re-live right now!

Shaun loves his job and even though I tease him about being over-payed because he's able to detail his truck and look at boats on the internet while on the clock, I know he works hard. There are days that I don't even get to talk to him because they are running calls or watching movies... I mean training! Isaac also loves that his daddy is a firefighter. He craves going to the station, wearing daddy's helmet, and "driving" the engine! I must say that I love Shaun's job too (even though I do have my complaints). Being a firefighter has made Shaun the perfect "wife." He knows how to cook, clean, and fix anything that I break! You see, there aren't any women at the stations so the guys have to learn how to do "the women's work." It is wonderful being married to someone that can do it ALL!

Let me take you down memory lane... About two years and a couple months ago. Shaun was in the fire academy, I was teaching, and our house didn't look like Toys R Us. We had been married about 2 1/2 years and were feeling a peace about starting a family. When we got pregnant with Isaac (Feb '07), Shaun was done with the fire academy but didn't have a job and I had just declined my teaching contract for the following year. Needless to say, Shaun was freaked out while I had the pregnant glow! We knew that God had provided in the past so He would do the same in the future. We continued to step out in faith and enjoy the ride. Just when we were getting a little nervous, Shaun was offered three (or was it four?) firefighting jobs. No longer was he thinking, "will I ever get hired?" but now he was blown away from having to choose from three (or four?) great departments. WOW! My last pay check was at the beginning of July and Shaun's first pay check was at the end of July! WOW AGAIN! I am still amazed that God was so detailed in blessing us! He knew our needs and met every single one of them. All we had to do was trust Him... Which is a whole lot easier said than done! Shaun and I wouldn't change anything about that "test of faith" journey. My job ended when it was supposed to, Shaun's job started when it was supposed to, and Isaac entered our lives at the perfect time!



Happy two years Shaun! You are quite the HOT-TEE in uniform! Owww!

Like father, like son

Shaun's badge pinning ceremony

Hey look, I'm still pregnant! ;)
(Sept '07)

1 comment:

Isaac's Gramzie said...

That was truly a special day. It's not every dad who is a firefighter that gets the honor of pinning a badge on his son.....especially at the same department. Chino has been very good to us all! And yes, the Lord does provide all our needs at the perfect time! We are all blessed!