Thursday, September 25, 2008

Mini-Van vs. SUV

Where do I begin? Ummm... let's see!

The day Isaac was born was the day my back problems began. Because of nursing and carrying around a chunky monkey, I'm not sure my body will ever be 100%. Isaac started out at 7lbs. 15oz. so I thought as he grew, my strength would too. It's a process, not an overnight weight gain. Well, I guess that's not the case. Isaac is now 25 lbs (maybe more) and my back feels every ounce of his little chubs from his head to his toes! Getting him in and out of the car is quite the process. That's where this debate begins...

When we were in Hawaii we rented a mini van and let me tell you... It was soooooo easy!!! I didn't have to lift Isaac way up into the seat, while getting hit in the bum by the door. He was at my level, right there AND because the door slid open I didn't have to worry about hitting the car (that parked too close) next to me. It was spacious and extremely convenient. Twice the size of my Xterra. We have a problem though. Shaun and I said that we would NEVER own a mini van. SUVers for life!!! Mini vans are so for old, uncool soccer moms (so sorry if I just offended drivers of mini vans but just keep reading)! I'm a young, hip sporty mom that knows when Isaac grows up all of his friends are going to say, "Wow! That's your mom? She drives a lifted SUV? She's so cool. My mom just drives a mini van." Well, I'm slowly changing my perspective on things. Ultimately it doesn't matter what I drive or what other people think. I am thankful for what I do have and pray that I never take for granted the blessings God has given me. I've heard that only 9% of the world's population have a car. With that being said, Shaun and I know that our family is still growing and that we will need a vehicle with more room soon. Let me clarify that "soon" does not mean I'm pregnant nor are we trying. ;) I seem to have been misleading in my last post. Sorry for that by the way. I guess I should have put the caption in past tense. It's nice to know that people are reading what I'm writing though! Anyway, the point of this post was to get your opinion - Mini-Van or SUV and why? I no longer think mini vans are out dated or lame. I totally get them now. Convincing Shaun of that is a different story though! I need your help soccer moms!"


8 comments:

Elaine at Matters of the Heart) said...

Gosh, if I could switch, I would.

The Burdett Family said...

Never thought I would say this but... mini vans are sooooo nice when it comes to hauling around little people. And look at it this way by the time the kids are grown enough to climb in and strap themselves in then you can switch to that lifted SUV :-D

Alicia said...

I feel ya Erica! I said I would NEVER drive a minivan and now I'm like wow they have everything! Have you seen the commercial for the chrysler town and country...it's like having a motorhome!

Shanalea Atchison said...

I think they are great as long as you get a good one with some good storage.

Nicole Leonard said...

I was the same way. I would NEVER own a mini-van. But know that I have a child, I am much more appreciative of what a mini-van has to offer. :) My sister-in-law has a Honda Odyssey... And let me tell you, that is my new DREAM CAR!!!! LOL! It has remote-controlled doors so the doors slide open with the push of a button! Sooo cool! And there is so much room for kiddos, extra stuff, and groceries. Plus, their supped-up version has DVD players in the back, which are great for kids on those loooong car trips.

I say GET A MINI-VAN! :)

Marcella said...

SO, my baby is not yet born, but I definitley know where I would put my vote. Last Christmas we rented a mini-van when Alex's family was in town. It was so nice! We could fit so many people and it was so roomie. I used to be against the whole mini-van thing, but now I hope we eventually own one. The remote control doors and not having to worry about hitting parked cars next to yours seems so convenient. :)

Shaun, Erica, Isaac, Parker, & Blake said...

Thanks friends! I think Shaun is slowly beginning to understand...

. said...

I am a little biased since I own an SUV, but I do love my SUV and can't imagine driving a mini-van but the sliding doors do make a good argument. SUV's are nice though because of how high they sit and I have never not had enough room.

Mike says, "Shaun, if you buy a mini-van you will be a sissy-boy-pansy-soccer-mom!!!"

Lots of Love-(watch us have a mini-van in four years when we have 4 kids)