Thursday, July 31, 2008

Who will walk 1st? Isaac vs. Daddy

Well, I have good news and bad news to report...

Good news - Yesterday Shaun finished his probationary year as a firefighter. It was a long road full of tests and rookie jokes but now he no longer has to do all the dishes, mopping, cooking, paper fetching, and coffee making. He can relax and know that he has a secure job!

Bad news - Shaun plays volleyball on Wednesday nights in a recreational league. His game was scheduled at 8 o'clock last night and they usually last an hour. I stayed home to get Isaac to bed on time and when I received a call from Shaun around 8:20 I knew something was wrong. He told me not to worry but that he was on his way to the hospital... Yeah, and I'm supposed to be ok! It turned out that as he was preparing to go up for a hit, he ruptured his achilles tendon. It's not a common injury for someone as young as Shaun either (unless you're on steriods and Shaun exact words were, "Come on! If I was taking steriods it wouldn't look like I was standing on a chicken"). Thankfully his family was able to be at the hospital with him and bring him home to me. Shaun said the pain was the worst he had ever felt (and he's been to the ER many times). He got home around 1am. Today was spent talking to doctors and work and crawling all over the floor with Isaac. Last night after he told me what happened, my stomach sank, and I began to prepare for the worse, which was very accurate. Shaun is scheduled for surgery on Saturday, will be in a cast for three months, and will be on disability for 4 to 6 months. He talked to his chief and captain at the department and they assured him that there will be a job waiting for him when he recovers.

These next few months will be... let's see... how should I put this... ummm... interesting!?! I'll admit that I'm a little scared knowing that I will have two "babies" to take care of. Shaun will be an easy patient and will be positive throughout the whole process but I know how much I depend on him to do things that I will now have to do. We're sad that our Lake Havasu and Hawaii trip will have to be postponed too. We've had these planned for over a year! I'm mostly sad that we won't be able to take our nightly family walks. It's my favorite time of the day! I told Shaun that I'm going to get a wheel chair. I'll push and Isaac can sit on his lap. Isaac will get a lot of daddy time but I'll be the one lugging him up and down the stairs (remember he's 25 lbs)!

Even though this is going to be hard, we know God's in control and that it could be a lot worse. I'll post an update after Shaun's surgery. Pray that it all goes smoothly and his recovery will be closer to 4 months and not 6.


Isaac loves his new toys!



4 comments:

. said...

We'll be praying for his surgery and recovery and for your adjustment to the whole thing!

Kevin Sheckler said...

Wow! We will pray for you guys. I guess this is just preparing you for your next baby.:) Do enjoy this unexpected time of daddytime in a whole different way.

Nicole Leonard said...

Oh no!! We'll keep you guys in prayer. Look on the bright side: you'll have lots of time together as a family. Cherish it!

The Hofschroer's said...

enjoy having an adult to talk to during the day! =) We will be praying!