Thursday, September 29, 2011

Ten years and going strong

Eleven years ago, as a nervous, far from home, little freshman, I walked into an upper division class that would change my life forever. Besides the fact that the teacher was a little nuts and that it didn't take me long to realize that I knew nothing about British Literature, there was this outspoken, super cute, sophomore that sat right behind me. He had bleach blond hair, bright blue eyes, and always wore cargoes and a plain white shirt. I had a crush but he had a girlfriend... Bummer! Regardless, the sad news didn't hold me back. I continued to enjoy my first year in college. Dating, going to banquets, hanging out with the girls, but never fully forgetting about my Brit Lit dream!

The year ended and I headed home for the summer. Mr. Blue Eyes told me that he wasn't going to come back in the fall so I decided that I needed to get over him... It was never going to happen. But of course his goal was to totally confuse me and I got a random email from him in July. He wanted to hang out if I was ever in town over the summer. Well, I happen to be visiting a friend that lived ten minutes from his house. I called him and he came over. Crazy timing!

Fast forward through the summer and it's now my sophomore year. I was in student leadership so I was there a few weeks early. AND can you guess who I saw in the hall registering for classes! Yup.... He's baaaaack! Turns out he broke up with his girlfriend over the summer (which is why he emailed me) and was now free for the taking. I'm a lady though so I didn't act interested anymore... I let him do all the work. Within three weeks we had gone on a few dates and it was now time to have the "talk." After lunch but before class on September 27, 2001, we headed out to the benches in the courtyard next to the AJ Staple's room. We talked and with his head down, twiddling his fingers, and shuffling his feet he said, "So, I'm ok with the boyfriend, girlfriend thing if you are!?" Yes, no joke... His exact words! Well, I was so far gone, head over heals, for him that it didn't matter how it came out! I took the invitation and said, "I'm good with it too!" I was in love and I knew it was only a matter of time 'til he realized it too!

Three years of dating, seven years of marriage, three kids, and many adventures later, we revisited this bench! That loud mouth, cutie that sat in the back row of my freshman year literature class is now all mine! I love you Shaun... Or should I call you my Everyman!?! ;)


One boy, one girl, and one old wooden bench... That led to this!


The scene upon arrival... A flood and under going yard work! :(

Of course I coordinated our clothes to match!

one + one = five

Little did Shaun know that ten years later he would be disciplining his children on these exact same benches! They work great for time outs!

4 comments:

Marcella said...

Okay...two funny things about this blog. The last picture made me laugh (its just so our life right now)! And, Alex confessed his feelings for me in the same courtyard on one of those "benches"! Small world...or maybe CBU was just small. :) Great blog!

krista said...

So sweet. Love this post. It made me laugh out loud at Shaun's smooth ways of asking you to be his gf. Ha. Classic Shaun. You guys have such a beautiful family!!!

Anonymous said...

Erica...I love reading your blog and love reading about how you and your husband met! You have a beautiful family and I so happy for you guys...Congrats on the new addition.

Danielle Flores (Grant)

Anonymous said...

What a great story to read! A tale to tell your children one day for sure :) You should have had outspoken blue eyed blond wear cargo shorts and a white shirt! lol :)

Ruth