Thursday, September 22, 2011

Out Numbered: Big Time!

My friend, Nicole, asked me to write a short article about life with boys for our MOPS newsletter. This is what I came up with...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Before I became a mommy I was an elementary school teacher. Like any job there were good days and bad days. However, everyday was crazy! When you put 30 plus kids in a classroom there is bound to be conflict and behavior problems. The issues between girls and boys were so different. I could handle the girls with their cat fights, hurt feelings, and trying to pierce body parts with plastic cafeteria forks. It was the boys I struggled with. They drove me nuts! They were so rough and tough and they really smelled. I remember coming home one day frustrated and telling my husband, “We will NEVER have boys! N.E.V.E.R!”
Fast forward a few years…

November 12, 2007: It’s a boy! November 18, 2009: It’s a boy! August 18, 2011: It’s a boy! Yes, God gave me exactly what I said I would never have… BOYS! Three of them (five if you count the cat and my hubby)! When people learn that I have three boys they either feel sorry for me or immediately let me know that I’m lucky because girls are so much harder than boys. Well, at first I did feel sorry for myself because I, of course, did want a girl. BUT, I believe God gave me boys because girls are too easy and He knew I needed to be challenged! FYI: Moms with girls, let me think this way!

Some days I feel like I am swimming in testosterone. I know the name of every super hero. It’s dirt bikes, quads, and sports all day long. Our family theme song is Star Wars. I am constantly being growled at. I would be rich if I had a nickel for every time I heard, “You don’t know the power of the dark side.” I wear more blue than pink and my house even has blue accents. At times I am scared that my second floor is going to cave in on me due to all the wrestling matches and light saber wars. I must say that living in a boy world is never dull.

Sure it would be nice to have a little pink among all this blue but, I am the queen of my castle and I make sure to leave feminine touches wherever I go. My husband’s manly truck currently has hair spray, lip stick, and a tampon in the glove compartment!

3 comments:

Mark said...

This is great! Glad you have your 3 boys! God is good.

Stephanie

Anonymous said...

So enjoyed reading this! Nicely done!

Ruth

Keri Sheckler said...

Fun times!!!!