Thursday, February 19, 2009

BitterSweet

We got home from Michigan last night and I have been dreading blogging all day. Where do I start after a trip like that? What could I possibly write to even begin to express how I'm feeling?
This week was bittersweet. Bitter because I know I will never spend a summer with my grandma again, I will never write her a letter and wait anxiously to get one back in the mail, I will never wish her a Happy Mother's Day or Birthday, and I will never see the look of "disgust" on her face for letting my spaghetti strap dress fall of my shoulder. However, it was sweet because I have so many wonderful, priceless memories with my grandma.
From Oregon, California, Arizona, Texas, Virginia, and Florida our family came from all over to be together... I've always said that funerals make the best reunions. We enjoyed spending time with each other while watching the toddler generation run around like crazy. It's always refreshing to have new life present during a time like this.
At my grandma's house she has the first part of the Serenity Prayer framed on her wall. Like every year I'm there, I laid in bed and read it over and over. "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference." The rest of the prayer was read at her service. "Living one day at a time; Enjoying one moment at a time; Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace; Taking, as He did, this sinful world as it is, not as I would have it; Trusting that He will make all things right if I surrender to His Will; That I may be reasonably happy in this life and supremely happy with Him Forever in the next. Amen." I don't remember if this was on of the verses read along with the prayer but it sure is fitting for a time such as this. Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will direct your paths. Proverbs 3: 5-6. As I was walking through my grandma's house and looking at pictures, elementary art work I had sent, and all the little "grandma" things she has, I noticed she had a book propped open. I've seen it many times, but I've just never taken the time to stop and read it. This time I did and a peace that passes all my understanding swept over me. It read, "God saw you getting tired and a cure was not to be, so He put His arms around you and whispered 'Come with Me.' With tear filled eyes we watched as you suffered and faded away, although we loved you deeply we could not will you to stay. A golden heart stopped beating, hard working hands at rest, God broke our hearts to show us 'He only takes the best.'" Michigan will never be the same without my grandma, but heaven is going to be that much better!


This was what we woke up to our first morning in Michigan. As you can tell I am INSIDE taking the picture!



Isaac's first snow experience. He wasn't a fan of the cold because it involved too much clothing and putting on foreign objects like gloves, boots, and scarfs. He didn't have enough time to get used to it either. He would only poke at the snow.
FYI: More pictures to come. I left my memory card at home so all the pictures are on my sister and dad's camera. As soon as they send them my way, I'll post them! Hint, hint dad and Lisa!!!

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Kevin and Keri Sheckler said...

You did a great job of writing about the beauty of your Gramma. She was a precious gift to your family.

In response to your comment, yes, snow was hard to get used to but my girls don't know differently. :)

Elaine at Matters of the Heart) said...

What a great tribute to you Grandmother.

Lifting you and your family in prayer.