Monday, November 23, 2009

Multiplying Love

My big boys are napping up stairs and Parker and I are napping down stairs... Well, I was but it's hard to close my eyes when I've got such a handsome little man laying next to me. I figure I have about 15 minutes to blog so we'll see what I can report during this short amount of time...


Parker's due date was the 17th so on the night of the 16th I knew I had to be pregnant for at least one more full day because babies never come on their due date. We decided to go to Victoria Gardens and soak up their sales. This also gave me a chance to be out walking. That night (the 17th), while Shaun was putting Isaac to bed, I told my mom that Parker was going to be born the next morning at 8:10 and that he would weigh 8 lbs. 10 oz. Keep in mind I was having no symptoms of labor. When we got in bed that night Shaun asked me, "How in the world are we going to get this kid to come out?" My reply, "I'm sure a good back rub would work!" He totally went for it and I went to bed completely relaxed! I woke around 1am to go to the bathroom but felt nothing. BUT when I woke up at hour later I knew I was in labor! We started timing my contractions and they were every 3-4 minutes lasting at least minute. We decided that we would head to the hospital but only AFTER I washed my hair. The warm water of the shower felt so good and it seemed to counter acted the contractions.
We got to the hospital around 4am and they hooked me up to the monitors. By now my contractions were a lot more intense and I thought for sure I would be dilated to at least a 5. Nope! I was only a 3! When I went in to have Isaac I was a 4 and wasn't feeling anything. How could I only be a 3!? My contractions were regular and hard enough so they went ahead and admitted me. By the time I got in the delivery room I was a 5 and ready for my epidural. It was now sometime after 6am and I was feeling good! AND I was dilated to an 8! By 7:30am they were prepping the room for the arrival of Parker. I pushed for a painful 20 minutes and out popped a beautiful, healthy, chunky, blonde haired baby! 9 lbs. 10 oz! HOLY COW! I still can't believe he was that big!!!
I was just as emotional and excited to meet Parker as I was Isaac! It's just as special the second time around!
After Shaun, Parker, and I had some time together I told him that it was time for the brothers to meet. That's when I learned that the hospital wouldn't allow any children in due to the swine flu. I was in tears! Last week I was told that my own child would be able to come back. I hate when I get two different stories.
Parker is now five days old and we are adjusting well to being a family of four. Isaac gives lots of kisses and asks for "Baby Parker" first thing every morning. He doesn't really care to hold him and it only took throwing the ball at Parker's head one time to learn that he's too little and not ready to play. Isaac is also having to realize that not everything in the house is his anymore. I love watching Shaun with his two boys too... Such a proud daddy!


Isaac's first look at his little brother



Isaac holding Parker for the first time


Bonding for the first time as a family of four


Mommy and her boys


Isaac loves to burp Parker


Daddy and his boys


Big brother showing little brother how to be cool!


Working on opening his eyes


Parker James Higgins


Please mommy! No more pictures!


Didn't realize Isaac was this big


Love you Parker!



Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Tawny Edwards said...

He is SO cute!!! Congrats Higgins family!! You story got me so excited for Caleb to arrive! Enjoy your time together and post pics often =)

The McCandless Family said...

congrats on the healthy new addition to your family. Issac looks like he is in love with his little brother!

Stephanie said...

Congratulations! He's a cutie. You look great as well. I'm sure the holidays will be extra special this year. Welcome to the world, Parker!

Alicia said...

Love the story as I'm always dying to know the events leading up to a birth. He's beautiful as well as your family!

Unknown said...

SOOO cute!!! Congrats on 2 beautiful boys!