Friday, June 7, 2013

Birthday Weekend

Last year I spent my birthday in Kauai... Paradise on earth! 
I was soaking up the sun and snorkeling with a turtle in Poipu. I knew that any birthday to come was going to be hard to top!
 
This June 1st Shaun was scheduled to work and he said there was no way he could take it off. Well, I knew that wasn't true but, because we are still consumed with backyard projects (a month and a half non-stop chaos), we didn't really have time to talk about it! My parents were in town and my dad and Shaun were working four days straight in the backyard. Did I mention it's only been yard talk for a month and a half!? :) I figured that Shaun would go to work on Friday, the 31st but, then come home and try and surprise me Saturday morning. However, he surpassed my expectations...
 
His alarm went off Friday morning and he "left" for work. Blake was up early too so I was bummed to have to deal with him by myself. I finally got him to relax and fall back to sleep in my bed. when we woke up, the big boys came in my room and walking behind them was SHAUN! He thought he was soooo funny! He had already gone to Home Depot (backyard stuff, remember?) and washed his truck! All I cared about was that he was home and left cranky Blake with me! He could have had him the whole time! Hehe! Shaun told me to get ready for the day and pack my bag for an over night adventure. I didn't have much time to think about the details of leaving the boys with my parents. It was also Isaac's last day of school so I was sad about not being there to pick him up. However, those thoughts came and went pretty fast... Shaun and I were getting away!!!!
 
I figured we were either going to the beach or the mountains so I packed a little of everything! We ended up in the mountains at Shaun's captain's rental house. The only thing is that it's nothing like a typical cabin rental house... It's better! It used to be their full time home and they are Hawaii lovers like me sooooo... It was 3,000 square feet of surfing pictures and tropical decor! With the Hawaiian music blasting, it almost felt like I was really there. Well, until I looked outside and saw pine trees instead of palm trees!

Can you guess what was the first thing we did? Yup, took a nap! Ahhh, first solid nap in a long time. Even for the mountains it was quite warm so instead of walking to the lake, we drove. We weren't exactly sure where the path was and I hate walking in circles. Driving was the better choice. The rest of the evening was spent relaxing, talking, and going out to dinner.

We were pretty lazy. We didn't work out in the gym that was down stairs or swim laps in the lake. We just vegged! True parent style of little kids!

My mom called Saturday morning and had the boys sing happy birthday to me! We enjoyed breakfast by the water, checking out the boat show, and doing a little more relaxing. We got home before dinner and while Blake couldn't keep his hands off my hair and was trying so hard to keep my attention on him, the big boys seemed to be doing just fine without me! Shaun's parents showed up and my friend Adriana and her kids came over. I didn't know who or how many were coming so I cornered the boys and Parker spilled the beans! I was glad that it was a small group... Hawaiian Haystack for dinner and my favorite strawberry cake with cream cheese frosting AND Oreo cupcakes for dessert. Plus presents and a clean house (thanks mom)... The older you get, the more you appreciate the little things!

It was an absolutely wonderful birthday! So even if I did have to turn 31 25, it was soooooo worth it!
 
 
All set and ready to go!

Our "little" house.
It's built on a hill so the front is deceiving...

There... That's better!

On our way to dinner

I never get to dress up so I needed a little proof it did actually happen for my birthday!

Breakfast by the water
 
~~~~~

Our welcoming crew!

No comments: