Monday, August 3, 2009

Radial Head Subluxation

We arrived safe and sound yesterday in beautiful Michigan. Isaac was a champ on the air plane and I must say that it is refreshing to be able to wear a jacket in the summer!

Our first day here was spent, waking up too early (three hour time change isn't easy with a toddler), watching the boats in the river, chasing sea gulls, eating at Coney Island, and taking Isaac to the emergency room. Yes, you read that right. Our 24th hour across country was spent in the ER. Shaun and Isaac had been playing at the park and let's just say it ended in crying. He was holding his wrist but when we took him in and the doctor examined his whole arm, he noticed the pain was in his elbow. The diagnosis: Radial Head Subluxation. Also known as Nursemaid elbow. In simple terms, one of Isaac's bones, next to his elbow, was out of place. The doctor had to pop it back in, which was thankfully a pain free, quick process. Within seconds Isaac was feeling better. Shaun felt so bad. He must have just picked him up the wrong way. Tip: Lift your child from under the arm, not the hands or forearms. Their joints are still so weak.

Tomorrow we are heading up north eight hours. I don't think anyone is looking forward to the drive. We'll be here for two weeks so I'm sure my blogging will be slim. Of course I'll have tons to report when I get home though! Happy summer!

Sorry, no pictures. Totally not like me but I'm not working from my lap top!

2 comments:

Isaac's Gramzie said...

So happy he is completely fine. I know that game that Shaun and Isaac play. Never thought it would hurt anyone. Isaac will never remember and Shaun will never forget! funny how that works........

Cope Family said...

Oh my goodness! Not a fun way to kick-off your vacation! Glad everyone is feeling better.