Thursday, May 7, 2009

Precious Moment

Bed time routine in our house is amazingly easy and like always, entertaining! At about 7 - 7:15 Isaac rides his horse (daddy, unless he's at work and then it's mommy) up the stairs and into the bathroom for a bath. He loves the water and isn't afraid to put his face in it and blow bubbles. We're currently working on the sounds of the alphabet and he has master the "a." Occasionally he'll tell you what other consonants say. When he's done he runs up and down the hall naked, laughing and screaming at the top of his lungs! After he's done streaking, it's book time. Depending on the time, we usually read two to three books that HE gets to choose! Let me tell you, I am tired of reading about Pocahontas and bugs in the jungle! When the books are finally closed for the night it's a sip of water, hugs and kisses, and then down he goes. By 8 o'clock he's out cold and good for the night!


Tonight was different though. Ten minutes after I put him down he was up crying (he never does this)! At first I was annoyed and thinking, "why can't the kid just go to sleep?" I waited a while to see if he would stop, but he only got louder. Wondering if something was wrong I went to check and he was standing at the edge of his crib with his blanket. He reached for me so I threw my heart on my sleeve and picked him up. Again, I was thinking, "Ok Isaac, you need to self sooth, I have stuff to do!" But then, as I sat in the glider rocking him, his head on my shoulder and his body beginning to relax, I realized that this was a precious moment that was more important that anything else I could be doing. My attitude completely changed and my heart melted every few seconds when he would lift his head to kiss me. I love how he snuggles in close, points to his back because he wanted me to rub it, and always reaches his hand around my neck to play with my hair! I got so caught up in loving on him that I didn't even realize he had fallen asleep... The snoring gave it away! Nothing was wrong, he just needed a little extra TLC!


One of my favorite pictures!!!
Valentine's Day 2008
3 months old

5 comments:

Isaac's Gramzie said...

Those moments are so cherished!!! You are right....nothing else is more important than this. I remember someone told me-the kids won't remember a clean house with chose done, they will remember the moments you spent rocking them, reading to them, playing with them. I think it is so true!

Isaac's Gramzie said...

I meant chores!!!

Shannon said...

How sweet! I love moments like that...sometime I wish they didn't come at 5 in the morning like this morning, but I wouldn't trade them for anything!

. said...

Love those precious moments! Priceless!

Paige Hinrichs said...

Bedtime is my favorite part of the day...and not because I'll soon be alone (though that's soooo nice), but because that's when we talk and cuddle the most. Plus when Isaac gets older, you'll find that's the best time to have wonderful heart to heart talks. Enjoy your sweet boy. He'll soon be 9 yrs old, a bit stinky and too big to hold. : )