Monday, September 16, 2013

Homeschool Update


Homeschooling has turned out to be exactly what I thought it would be AND exactly what I thought it wouldn't be. I knew there would be good days and bad days. I knew I would have to review standards and then plan and prep each day. I knew teaching Isaac, while dealing with two little ones would be a challenge. What I didn't expect was that we would still be so busy and there would be daily interruptions that would keep us from doing work. I know homeschooling is meant to be "flexible" but, Isaac and I both appreciate a routine. Change is not something Isaac does well with so knowing what to expect makes life a little smoother.
 
Thankfully, things that I dreaded about homeschooling have been the most fun! For example, teaching Isaac to read! If Isaac isn't good at something right away he gets frustrated and shuts down. Seeing as how the written English language doesn't always make sense, I feared there would be a lot of "shutting down." Isaac has a great memory and catches on to new concepts fast so he has been able to excel in a short amount of time. It's been just recently that he WANTS to read and it's not me forcing him.
 
Finding the balance between disguising learning and making it fun and pushing through when he wants to give up has been hard. We're improving everyday and maybe by Christmas we'll have it mastered! HA!
 
Proud of his first assignment!

Geometry:
Making shapes by connecting marshmallows and toothpicks

Draw-Write-Now!
Isaac loves to draw/color/create so you'd think that the meltdown with these four assignments would have come with the writing... Nope. Isaac is also a perfectionist so when the ducks' beaks weren't the exact same size or the turkey's arm wasn't the right length OR the squiggly line that connects the cone from the ice cream wasn't the right "squiggly," disaster happened!

The school room at the beginning of the year. It's now a little messier with books and supplies!
 
 I used this calendar in my classroom when I was a "real" teacher. However, some of the numbers are missing so Isaac has to fill them in by hand!

The little boys like to color and use scissors... Not a fan of the scissors for Blake but, he's actually pretty good at it.

First day of...
Kindergarten, Pre-Pre-K, and I just wanna Party!
 
Isaac adjusted well to going to school on Thursdays from 9-3:30. It's a long day for him but, it's been good for everyone. He gets to play with friends and learn from someone other than me. The little boys get some extra attention. AND I don't have to do lesson plans that day! Woohoo! It's usually hard to get any information out of him but, each week he opens up and tells me more. This week he told me they do too much sitting on the rainbow rug. It makes his legs hurt and the back of his knees get sweaty. He likes when they work at the tables. He talks a lot about two of his classes (World of Art and Stars and Planets) but, he's still leaving me hanging on what they do in I CAN Learn to Read and Noodling with Numbers! Hmmmm....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love reading your updates- homeschool looks like so much fun!:)