Thursday, November 15, 2012

A Spiritual Birth

 
I'm not usually this quick with blogging but, when it involves the eternity of one of my kids, everything else can take a back seat.
 
Isaac has been struggling lately with good and bad choices. Because he knows the difference it has caused a strong battle inside of him. He so badly wants to do the right thing but, his human nature tells him to do the wrong thing! The struggle has been fierce and full of consequences. Last week he got really quiet and asked me if he would only make good choices once he turned five? Sadly I had to inform him that no matter how much he only wanted to do good, bad was going to happen too. This conversation led into forgiveness of sin and how God, Daddy, and I would always love him no matter what he did! He listened, understood, but I think he was still holding out for that perfect five!
Well, his birthday came and went and he realized he still wasn't always being nice. I think he was disappointed that the struggle was still there. We have many daily talks about heaven and what it takes to be able to go there when we die. However, tonight he seemed to really get it. Especially because he's becoming more concerned with his actions and how they make him and others around him feel.
 
Shaun and I weren't sure if this was really going to be it but, we didn't want to pass up this opportunity. Shaun took him in his room and I took Parker and Blake into Blake's room so they wouldn't be a distraction (it's nuts at bed time around here). About five minutes later I heard the door open and Isaac came running in. With a ton of excitement he proudly announced, "Mommy, I have Jesus in my heart!" My eyes filled with tears of joy and I grabbed him and hugged him These are words that he has said to me before but this time they felt real... He gets it! The smile on his face was just as big (if not bigger) than when he got his pirate ship on his birthday! He had been given an eternal gift and he knew Jesus was in his heart and that he would go to heaven someday. Amazing! So simple, yet so rewarding, that even a new five year old could do it! It was more than believing in God... It was accepting the fact that He sent His perfect son to die for us so that we could be forgiven!
 
Isaac knows that he is still going to make bad choices. However, he knows that God will always love him and will help him through those struggles.
 
Daddy and I are so proud of you little man! We look forward to celebrating your first birthday next year! ;)
 
He couldn't stop smiling!

Praying with daddy!

Not the best picture... But, still worth remembering!

1 comment:

Keri Sheckler said...

Welcome to the family, Isaac!!!