Sunday, January 22, 2012

Close... But not quite ready!

Tonight at dinner Isaac was talking about his cross necklace that he got from Awanas. I asked him why he chose that prize over all the other ones. He said, "Because it's blue and I love blue!" We then started talking about the cross and what it meant. Isaac knows that Jesus died on the cross for our sins and reminds us of that every time he sees a cross. Some how the conversation turned to heaven and Isaac said he really wanted to go to heaven someday. I asked him if he knew how to get there. He thought about it for a second then said, "Ummm, I have to be good!?" As much as I wanted to reply, "YES! So you can never fight with your brother again"... I didn't. I told him that while being good is something Jesus likes us to be, it isn't going to get us into heaven. We just can't be good enough! By this time he was super curious and asked for the correct answer. We talked back and forth a lot but, in the simplest way possible, I told him that we have to believe in God and that He sent His son to die for us because we do bad things. But, even though we do bad things God still loves us. We have to ask Jesus to come into our lives and live with us forever. His eyes grew big and he said, "Mommy, I want to do that. I want to ask Jesus to live with me!" I told him how excited I was and that he could do that right now! He smiled and asked me to help him. So, we prayed together... Isaac repeating after me. After we prayed I hugged him (and of course Parker too cause he was copying every thing Isaac was doing and was just as delighted in his success)!

When we were done we had a quick conversation that went like this...

Me: Isaac, daddy will be home in the morning and if he asks you if you are going to heaven what are you going to say?

Isaac: I'm going to tell him yes!

Me: And if daddy asks you why you get to go to heaven what are you going to tell him?

Isaac: I'm going to tell him I get to go because I want to!

I guess we still have some work to do. Isaac is young and the ground work is still being laid. I knew this wouldn't be the moment but, it made me that much more excited for when he really does ask Jesus into his heart!

The blue cross!

Definitely not ready...

For those of you that don't know what Awanas is... It stands for Approved Workmen are not Ashamed and is based off of the Bible verse 2 Timothy 2:15. "Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." It's an international club that focuses on scripture memory. Of course there's snacks and lots of play too! Tonight Isaac's verse was Mark 10:14. All the Cubbies (Isaac's age group) were only expected to learn... Let the little children come to me... BUT, this is a verse Isaac learned a long time ago so he was able to recite the whole thing. And Jesus said, Let the little children come to me. Do not keep them away. My kingdom belongs to people like them! I'm so proud of my little guy!

2 comments:

Ammah x7 said...

Ammah has tears in her eyes.......of joy, thankfulness, and humbleness. To know my grandchildren have Godly, loving parents who are training them just how God wants them to makes my cup runneth over!

Jennifer Jones said...

JJ does Awana's as well. This is his second year. Last year we were fortunate enough to find a location that did Puggles as well. Where does Isaac do his Awanas at?